When it comes to enhancing your Tesla Model Y’s suspension, you might be considering fully adjustable coilovers or lowering springs. In this article, we’ll delve into the world of fully adjustable coilovers, evaluate their worth, and provide a comprehensive guide on how to adjust them. We’ll also touch on the availability of air suspension for the Model Y and how coilovers function to improve your driving experience.
What are fully adjustable coilovers?
Fully adjustable coilovers are a type of aftermarket suspension upgrade that replaces your vehicle’s stock suspension components. They consist of a coil spring and a shock absorber, which work together to provide improved handling, ride quality, and adjustability. Fully adjustable coilovers offer a range of customization options, such as adjustable ride height, damping, and spring preload, allowing drivers to fine-tune their vehicle’s performance and aesthetics.
Are adjustable coilovers worth it?
The benefits of adjustable coilovers can be divided into three main categories: performance, aesthetics, and customization. Here’s a closer look at each:
- Performance: Adjustable coilovers are designed to improve handling, cornering, and overall driving dynamics. By providing increased stability and reduced body roll, they allow drivers to push their Tesla Model Y to its limits with greater confidence.
- Aesthetics: Many Model Y owners opt for coilovers to achieve a more aggressive stance by lowering the vehicle. A lower center of gravity not only looks sportier but also enhances handling characteristics.
- Customization: With fully adjustable coilovers, drivers can fine-tune their suspension to match their driving preferences, such as comfort, sportiness, or a combination of both.
However, coilovers might not be the best option for everyone. If you primarily use your Model Y for daily commuting and prioritize comfort over performance, lowering springs or the factory suspension may be more suitable.
How do you adjust fully adjustable coilovers?
Adjusting fully adjustable coilovers typically involves three key steps:
- Adjusting ride height: Using the threaded collar on the coilover body, you can raise or lower your Model Y to the desired height. Make sure to measure and maintain even ride height on all four corners of the vehicle.
- Adjusting damping: Most adjustable coilovers feature adjustable damping settings. By turning the knobs or adjusting the clickers, you can fine-tune the compression and rebound characteristics of your suspension.
- Adjusting spring preload: To set the spring preload, you’ll need to adjust the spring perches on the coilover assembly. This allows you to alter the stiffness of the springs, which in turn influences the overall suspension behavior.
Always consult the manufacturer’s guidelines and enlist the help of a professional when adjusting your coilovers to ensure the best results.
Tesla Model Y coilovers, lowering springs, and air suspension
The Tesla Model Y does not come with air suspension as a factory option. However, aftermarket air suspension kits are available for those who prefer the versatility and adjustability offered by this system.
Both coilovers and lowering springs are popular options for Model Y owners looking to enhance their vehicle’s suspension. While coilovers offer greater adjustability and performance benefits, lowering springs are generally more budget-friendly and can still provide a noticeable improvement in handling and aesthetics.
How do coilovers work?
Coilovers work by combining a coil spring and a shock absorber into a single unit, which allows for better integration and overall suspension performance. The spring absorbs the energy from road imperfections, while the shock absorber dissipates that energy and prevents the vehicle from bouncing excessively. The adjustability of coilovers allows drivers to fine-tune their suspension system, achieving the ideal balance between comfort and performance based on their driving preferences and needs.
Coilover maintenance and longevity
To ensure the longevity and optimal performance of your fully adjustable coilovers, regular maintenance is essential. This includes periodic inspections for signs of wear or damage, as well as routine cleaning to remove dirt, debris, and any potential corrosive substances. Additionally, it’s crucial to have your suspension alignment checked and adjusted by a professional after installing or making significant adjustments to your coilovers.
In conclusion, fully adjustable coilovers can be a valuable upgrade for Tesla Model Y owners who seek to enhance their vehicle’s handling, aesthetics, and overall driving experience. While they may not be suitable for everyone, their adjustability and performance benefits make them an appealing option for those who prioritize performance and customization. Be sure to consult the manufacturer’s guidelines and enlist the help of a professional for the best results when adjusting and maintaining your coilovers.